Banner After

Relationships Built On Trust

Revisiting Prior Custody And Support Orders

Life goes on after divorce, and the court orders that worked for you in the past may not be appropriate for the long term. For more than 40 years, the attorneys of Wick & Trautwein, LLC, have been helping clients handle issues that arise after divorce, from complicated child relocation issues to more straightforward enforcement of child support payments. With offices conveniently located in Fort Collins and Windsor, we represent individuals and families throughout northern Colorado and southern.

Our attorneys represent parties seeking post-decree modifications and enforcement, as well as parties opposed to such actions.

Post-Divorce Modifications

The following are examples of times when you may need to modify your divorce decree:

  • Relocation: A custodial parent seeking to relocate with children needs court approval if the proposed move would affect the visitation rights of the other parent.
  • Child support: If you or your spouse’s financial circumstances change, you may have a right to have child support payments recalculated. Examples of a change in circumstances include job loss, a new job, a promotion, a raise or a reduction in pay.
  • Child custody: If an issue arises that affects your child’s well-being, both child custody and visitation can be reviewed and changed by the court.
  • Spousal maintenance: Spousal maintenance or alimony may or may not be modifiable after divorce. One example of a time when alimony payments may stop is when a recipient spouse cohabitates.

Enforcement Of Post-Decree Divorce Orders

If a party is not following a divorce order, our attorneys can file an enforcement action. Examples of times when enforcement may be needed include:

  • A spouse with custody fails to provide visitation to the other parent.
  • A parent fails to return children after visitation.
  • A parent fails to pay child support.
  • A spouse fails to sell property or turn over assets under a marital property division order.

Talk To Our Family Law Attorneys About Your Case

We can help you determine the best moves to make for your family at this time. For more information or to schedule a consultation with a lawyer at our firm, call 970-482-4011 or fill out the contact form on this website.