Wick & Trautwein, LLC
Call Today
Local: 970-237-5694
Toll Free: 866-686-1410

Common questions when starting a Colorado business

All potential first-time business owners have questions when they are in the process of starting their companies. From a legal standpoint, there may be many things that have to be done that they do not have experience with simply because they have not gone through the business formation process before. It can be good for Colorado residents to look at frequently asked questions to see if they are looking for some of the same answers.

First of all, people often ask how to declare their company a Sole Proprietorship, or they may want to know how to declare a business that is a General Partnership. Both things can be done simply by going to the Secretary of State's office. There, they will need to put in a form known as a Statement of Trade Name.

Others are interested in starting what is known as an S corporation or starting up a C corporation. To do this, they should not turn to the Secretary of State, as this is handled by the Internal Revenue Service. They will need to file with the IRS to figure out what status their new business can use.

Finally, business owners may need to get a business license to begin legally operating, but they might not know how to get it. While the Secretary of State's office does have a Business Division, it is important to note that they cannot give out the proper license. This is something that is often handled by offices at the city level or the county level. In some cases, it can also be done through the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies, or the new business owner can contact the Colorado Department of Revenue.

Source: Colorado Secretary of State, "Business FAQs: Beginning a Business" Aug. 13, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Lead Counsel Rated | LC
  • BBB | Accredited Business
  • 10 Best 2017 Attorney | Client Satisfaction | American Institute Of Family Law Attorneys
  • Preeminent AV | LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell | PeerReviewRated
  • Best's Client Recommended Insurance Attorneys Listed Over 25 Year
  • Expertise Best car accident Attorneys in fort collins 2018

Fort Collins Office
323 South College Avenue #3
Fort Collins, CO 80524

Toll Free: 866-686-1410
Phone: 970-237-5694
Fax: 970-482-8929
Fort Collins Law Office Map

Windsor Office
421 Main Street
Windsor, CO 80535

Toll Free: 866-686-1410
Windsor Law Office Map

Review Us
Providing You With The Information You Need To
Make The Right Choices For Your Future

We Take Your Emails Seriously

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy