Banner After

Relationships Built On Trust

Colorado’s insurance policies protect you against loss

by | Oct 29, 2015 | Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Accidents

Getting into an accident is hard enough without having to worry about who has or doesn’t have auto insurance. Not having it is a crime, but that won’t be helpful to you when you’re suffering from injuries.

In Colorado, the auto insurance requirements are strict for everyone, because there is no worse situation than having someone get hurt but being unable to hold the other party liable for lost wages or medical bills. In your auto insurance policy, you’re required to carry bodily injury coverage, which covers you if you are at fault for an accident that causes harm to another person. If you’re hurt by someone who doesn’t have this coverage, then it’s possible that you could sue them directly with the help of an attorney.

Your insurance should also provide underinsured or uninsured motorist coverage. This coverage does protect you against medical and other expenses by covering them in the event that the other party doesn’t have insurance. Sometimes, this amount may not be enough to cover all your injuries or lost wages, which can be a problem. That would be when you would likely wish to file a claim against the driver for compensation.

Collision coverage is not required by law, but it’s something you may want to have. It covers damage to your vehicle in the case that you run into another vehicle or an inanimate object. This can be helpful if you are hit by someone who is uninsured but want to make sure you have the money you need for a new or repaired vehicle.

Source: Rocky Mountain Insurance Information Agency, “Colorado Auto Insurance Requirements,” accessed Oct. 29, 2015

FindLaw Network