Wick & Trautwein, LLC
Call Today
Toll Free
Broad Based Experienced Legal Help Since 1972

Creative Solutions, Exceptional Results

The law firm of Wick & Trautwein, LLC, has a long history of partnerships with the people and businesses of northern Colorado and southern Wyoming

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Accidents Archives

Should I purchase more than just liability car insurance?

Everyone loves a good bargain, but those who buy the cheapest auto insurance coverage for their vehicles may experience buyer's remorse if they wind up involved in a wreck with an uninsured (or under-insured) driver.

Some at-fault vehicles will exclude your uninsured motorist claim

An uninsured or underinsured motorist claim is one that you file to your own insurance company because you experienced damages in an accident caused by a driver or vehicle that wasn't covered or fully covered. If you have the proper uninsured or underinsured additions on your own policy, the theory is that your insurance company should pick up the slack and help you cover your losses.

Understanding whether you need uninsured motorist coverage

Colorado is one of several states that doesn't require you to carry uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage on your auto insurance policy. At a time when many people are trying to cut costs across the board, it might seem like a good idea to decline coverage that is optional. Before you pass on this coverage, though, make sure you understand what it is and whether you really need it.

How much uninsured motorist coverage do you need?

The answer to the question of how much uninsured motorist coverage you need isn't always simple. While everyone certainly needs insurance, especially car insurance, how much coverage you need really depends on your lifestyle, your car and your goals for protection. If you are someone with a lot of personal property, for example, you might want a high level of insurance to protect that property from a lawsuit should you ever cause an accident.

3 important steps following an uninsured motorist accident

If you are in a vehicle accident and the other party involved does not have vehicle insurance, then you need to take action to ensure you are protected. This is especially true if the other person might be at fault for the accident. These three steps might help you seek compensation for any damages you experienced in such an accident.

How many uninsured drivers are there?

Despite the fact that drivers are required to have at least a low level of car insurance, many drivers neglect to buy it. The reasons for this are many, but the main one is simply that they do not want to pay for coverage. The exact number of drivers doing this at any given time fluctuates a bit, but it is possible to see overall trends and estimates if wondering how many there are.

What type of insurance coverage do you have?

In the event of an auto accident, do you know what type of vehicle insurance you have? While we talk a lot about accidents that involve someone else's liability and seeking compensation from someone else's insurance company, there are times where your insurance policy might be important, too.

What is uninsured motorist coverage?

Even though most states call for drivers to have basic liability coverage, there are drivers who fail to purchase liability insurance for themselves and their vehicles. That means if those drivers are involved in an accident with you -- and the incident is their fault -- then you might have issues collecting compensation for damages done to your property or personal body. This is where uninsured motorist coverage comes in.

Watch More Videos

We Take Your
Emails Seriously

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Wick & Trautwein, LLC BBB Business Review
FindLaw Network
Firm Locations
Wick & Trautwein, LLC
323 South College Avenue #3
Fort Collins, CO 80524

Phone: 970-237-5694
Toll Free: 866-686-1410
Fax: 970-482-8929
Fort Collins Law Office Map
Wick & Trautwein, LLC
513 Big Thompson Ave
Estes Park, CO 80517

Located in Lower Stanley Village
Phone: 970-586-3505
Fax: 970-586-3269
Estes Park Law Office Map

Windsor Office
(by appointment only)
421 Main Street
Windsor, CO 80535
Toll Free: 866-686-1410
Map and Directions